Friday, October 30, 2009
Obesity Is Taking Over
For English class we are writing about Obesity. Of all the topics we narrowed our selection down to such as health care, the war in iraq, the rising cost of college etc, this one stood out the most; I'm glad we chose it. Why? Well because it is such a HUGE problem in todays society. Although I can't really relate to the situation, I still find myself asking the question. I wonder how people can let themselves get that way, and what exactly is causing it. Maybe certain people have medical reasons as to why they gain massive amounts of weight, of maybe it is the stressfull On-the-go lifestyle of people in America today. Or perhaps it really is what all of the articles and resources tell me, and that is FOOD. I recently learned that America is the fattest and most Obese country in the world. Not only do we have the most money, power, and technology, we also have this life-threatening problem. It seems like a bit of a contradiction to me. As huge of a problem as it may be, the more I learn about this epidemic, the more interested I become. The facts are mind-boggling. Facts such as the death toll having taken the lives of more than 300,000 Americans this year alone; that's only second to the number tobacco related deaths. That's crazy! We abuse this resource used to sustain life so much that it seems almost as though food is just almost just as bad for you as tobacce. It makes me stop and think. Are Americans not smarter than this and where exactly is our sense of self control? I understand the delicous and moutherwatering taste of a Big Mac, but weighing so much that you start to threaten your life is not okay. Maybe I am a bit to harsh, and it is not that simple; but with the exception of a few health conditions, I think it is. People are faced with temptation everyday, and food is one that people cannot resist. Is it ever going to stop, Or is it going to continue to take over.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment