Blog Blog Blog

Blog Blog Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Social Networking or Social Climbing?

What is the difference between "Social Networking" and "Social Climbing.” Meeting friends through people, or using people to meet friends? There's a fine line between the two. When I came to SMU, I was so happy to make friends and meet new people, and especially glad that I have made a best friend. But now that groups are being set and you are figuring out who you hang out with the most, it’s hard to understand whether you are having friends because of who you know or what kind of person you are. When people “steal” your friends, it’s hard to tell whether they are expanding their social network and love meeting and making new friends, or if they are using you as a step stool to expand their network for self gain. Do you feel like your friendships are being exploited by needy, social climbing friends or are they simply trying to make more friends for good reasons?

No comments:

Post a Comment