Blog Blog Blog

Blog Blog Blog

Sunday, May 2, 2010

"How to Lose Your Job Via Facebook"

Facebook posting can cause more trouble than we think. The concept of being fired or expelled from school because of social networking is ridiculous. I think it is such a relevant topic, considering today's generation and how much it has truly become a part of our daily lives, and I feel as though most people my age are just as unaware as I was. However, besides the negative aspect of Facebook being completely addicting, I feel as though student's, including myself, are also becoming a bit to comfortable with what they are saying online. The line between what's appropriate vs. inappropriate is slowly but surely fusing and can be as detrimental as to deprive us of our careers, or keep us from getting one.
After learning about how employers and bosses check profiles, I couldn't help but feel a little bit nervous. I wasn't nervous because I had provocative inappropriate things on my profile(which is a problem for most people my age) but I was more nervous for the fact that I might not even know what I'm saying or posting is unfavorable in someone else's eyes until something bad happens. Being a student athlete makes me particularly nervous about what I do, say or post online; you never know when coach is watching. I did a little research about social networking and job loss, and even more shocking found examples of students not getting into certain schools due to college administrators online access.
Of all the examples I have heard and read the most shocking was an account about a girl discussing her job to one of her friends online, who clearly forgot she was friends with her boss, which resulted in her immediate termination from her job.
Although our Social Networks are supposed to be fun and a break from the rest of the world, especially work and school, some things are better kept to ourselves. Hopefully it doesn't take something bad happening for people of my generation to realize it.

1 comment:

  1. There have been countless examples of Facebook getting people into trouble or being the reason for a job termination. Just last year at my high school, a number of my classmates were suspended for inappropriate pictures of underage drinking on Facebook.
    On one hand, I think it's an invasion of privacy to go snooping around people's Facebook pages. But on the other hand, it is your own fault if you put up discriminating pictures or information about yourself on a public forum such as Facebook.
    Companies want to hire only the best and the brightest and if there is a picture of you passed out with drawings all over your face, that's not going to look to appealing to your potential employers. Put up privacy settings or just delete the inappropriate things altogether.

    Sincerely,
    Da Souf Side Granny Killa

    ReplyDelete